Monday, November 12, 2018

We are Off to China!

We leave today for our Roof of the World tour with Viking River Cruises! Our alarms went off at 3:30am, we got up and dressed, did a few little things to finish up and then we loaded the car & headed for the Albuquerque Sunport. Yesterday I tried to do online check-in but I got a message we had to check-in at the airport with a ticket agent. We left the house around 4:00am and by the time we parked at Airport Parking and then took the shuttle to the airport it was 5:00am. We got checked in and found out why we couldn’t do online check-in – it was because we had to have a visa to visit China and they have to check your passport. Then we headed for security. Everything there went quickly and in no time we were at Gate B1 waiting to board our first flight to Dallas/Fort Worth airport. We only had to wait about 25 minutes before boarding and then we were off. [We were in seats 23BC]

During the flight I read (started a new book called Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase) and visited with the woman next to me. Her name was Sandra (from Belen) and she was heading to Cancun to meet up with her sister and niece. Other than that the flight was uneventful and went by quickly.

We landed at DFW at Terminal A and had to make our way to Terminal D for our connecting flight. It was a quick and easy trip on the tram and in no time we were at Gate D30 for our flight to Shanghai. As we arrived at the gate they said that boarding was delayed for about 20 minutes. Finally, we boarded our 787 for China. The plane is configured with two aisles with 3 seats on one side (A, B, C); 3 seats in the middle (D, E, F); 3 seats on the other side (G, H, I). We arrived at row 33 and there was a man in seat A, I was in seat B and Thomas was in seat C. Then suddenly the flight attendant asked the man in seat A if he wanted to move to a row with only one other person. So he moved and now Thomas and I had all three seats. We are very comfortable now!

I did a little journaling and then I watched a movie (Zoo – it takes place in Ireland during WWII). Twenty minutes into the flight they served us drinks and snacks (pretzels) and now they are getting ready to serve lunch (beef or chicken). At noon we got our lunch (salad, shrimp with noodles, bread, chicken, quinoa, carrots and an Aztec Cinnamon Bar (chocolate covered brownie with cinnamon oat crunch on top) for dessert. While eating my movie ended and I started watching Hotel Transylvania 3. The lunch was only okay – but what did I expect – it was airplane food. I finished lunch and now I am enjoying my second movie. Once the movie ended I went back to my reading and read for about two hours. Then I took a break from the book and played a couple of games on the TV screen. I quickly got bored with that and went back to reading. A half hour later they brought us more food. This time we had a ham sandwich, some chips and ice cream. While eating I started watching Priscilla Queen of the Desert. We still have about seven hours left on this flight before we arrive in Shanghai. When the movie finished I went back to reading. An hour later I finished my book. So I took a break to stretch my legs and walk around the plane and went to the bathroom. [This is the first time I have left my seat the entire flight.] When I returned to my seat I played a game for about 20 minutes and then I started watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

I have been pretty miserable the whole flight. My allergies are acting up and I keep sneezing, have a runny nose, my eyes itch and I have pressure between the eyes. These long flights always do me in. I took some medicine and it has helped a little but not entirely. I have not felt tired so I haven’t tried to sleep yet. And as it closer to us landing in Shanghai I guess I should just stay awake and I will really sleep well tonight. We get into Shanghai around 4:00pm and then by the time we go through customs and get to the hotel I can probably just take a shower and go to bed. We will see what happens.

After the movie I got some things organized into my backpack and cleaned up around our seats. Then they served us a quick breakfast meal and by the time we finished eating we were making our decent into Shanghai. We landed and it seemed to take forever to get to the gate and then to get off the plane. Finally, we made it to customs and passed through there quickly. Then we headed to baggage claim to get our bags. After we grabbed our luggage we found a currency exchange and got some yuan. Next we met up with the Viking representative and then were shuttled to our hotel. We are at the Fairmont Peace Hotel. It was an hour ride from the airport to the hotel. After getting checked in we went back down to the lobby to get something for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel.

We are so tired. We have taken showers and now we just want to get a good night’s sleep. We have a busy day in Shanghai tomorrow.

No comments :