Friday, February 28, 2014

One Last Day in DC

It was our last day in DC and we didn't have much planned. Thomas had a couple of meetings this morning and since I am not feeling that great I decided to stay at the hotel and begin packing for our flight home in the morning. I got about 80% of the packing done (both mine and Thomas') and then I did some work on the computer. Thomas returned to the room about 10:30am and changed from his suit into some jeans and then we headed out at a little after 11:00am. We met Muffet in the lobby and headed out to find some lunch at The Corner Bakery. After a relaxing lunch we decided to head to the Capitol and take a tour. We had a scheduled tour at 3:00pm but decided we didn't want to wait - so we cancelled that one and just did a walk up tour at the Capitol Visitor Center.

The Capitol tour starts with a short film and then you form lines and meet your tour guide. Then you get a very quick tour of the Crypt, the Rotunda and the National Statuary Hall. I am not sure but I think the tour lasted less than 45 minutes. Again, like the White House, I was disappointed. I really don't fell like it was worth my time, really almost a waste. We also had passes from one of our Senators to tour the House and Senate Galleries. We could only view the House Gallery because the Senate area was closed. Again this was disappointing - you literally just enter the gallery and take a look at the chambers and then you leave. I feel it is really insulting to the American people who pay for these buildings with our tax dollars and we aren't able to really see them. Anyway, I can say I was there and saw them but won't waste my time doing that again. We left the Capitol and once outside we talked about what we wanted to do next. We decided to take the Metro to Dupont Circle and walk around for a while. It was a quick ride to Dupont and we spent about an hour walking around the area. We too a short walk down Embassy Row and then headed back to the hotel. We took the Metro back to Union Station (closest stop to our hotel) and then went back to the hotel and take a break.

Thomas and I were still not feeling well so we took a short nap. When we woke up we decided to go to dinner at The Dubliner just around the corner and have an early dinner and get to bed early so that hopefully we feel better for our flight at 6:00am tomorrow. We had a quick dinner and then returned to the hotel where I now complete this post. Now I am going to shower and get to bed for some rest. It has been a wonderful trip and I have scratched off quite a few things from my bucket list and I am happy about that. Now it is time to get back to our normal routine.

No comments :