Friday, June 21, 2013

Finally, Someone Comes To Their Senses

In the last couple of days a group called Exodus International closed its doors. This group was a so-called gay conversion group that provided counseling and resources to assist homosexuals change to heterosexual. It seems that in the last few years the group has been changing its position on whether or not gays can be converted to straight. They finally realized that all the nonsense they have been spouting is totally ridiculous. The president of EI - Alan Chambers - blogged the decision to close and stated that reparative therapy is ineffectual and unhealthy. Here is an excerpt from his post . . .
Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents... I am sorry that I...failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry...that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine. 
I am thankful that they realized what they were doing was causing more damage than good. I also hope that others will follow their lead. This is good news and I like that it came to be during gay pride month.

No comments :